It’s a law of the universe: What goes up must come down. Here’s another law that can be applied to all entrepreneurs: Nothing ever remains the same.
Small business owners understand these laws more than anyone else.
We’re resilient. We’re seldom tempted to follow the crowd. There is a beat in a drum that we follow and yet we alone can identify its sound when it resonates in our hearts.
Our journeys are unique and almost all the entrepreneurs I know want to be in it for the long haul. We’ve become intimate with the up and downs.
As Seth Godin explains:
“A few people are entrepreneurs, building a business bigger than themselves, a business that makes them money when they sleep; a business where they don’t actually do the work that the customer is buying, and a business that they can sell one day. This is what most people aspire but it’s a lot harder and requires more skills.
If you’re an entrepreneur, then you have signed up for a series of choices and challenges.”
The Challenge Covid-19 Presents Entrepreneurs
Those last words matter the most: the choices and challenges. Here’s why. Just as you began to feel as if you became a better business owner by adjusting your models for the digital and social media worlds. just as you were standing a bit sturdier, another round of stay-at-home orders comes and pulls the rug from under your feet.
Perhaps no other exchange was more poignant for me this week than these two creative entrepreneurs sharing tweets of frustration and support:
The Choice Entrepreneurs Face
This second lockdown impacts most small business owners because when your business account becomes whittled like a landscape after a hurricane the grit, determination, and tenacity that came with the first lockdown arrive in spurts and enthusiastic bursts.
I don’t have a crystal ball but I do believe the question we ask ourselves today is the same we asked ourselves in March 2020 i.e.
“How are we going to change to get through this” and not “how are we going to get through this
Boom! That’s the choice right there. Because if you believe in the laws of the universe then what you can do is to cling tightly to a belief that things WILL turn around and when they do, your products and services will likely be in high demand to fulfill the needs of a world that has been in waiting.
It’s challenging to know how and where you should be spending our time but I want to encourage you as entrepreneurs to spend what you can to build out systems that will support you when things pick up again and you find yourself in the busyness of being in business.
One of the best pieces of advice I’ve gotten in this season is:
Don’t think your digital products and your online shop is the be-all and end-all. Get on a train of building funnels and email lists. Get busy collecting audiences and providing continuous value and selling on your owned channels.
As entrepreneurs, the best way to navigate lockdown number two is to stop being mired in the now. To tap into what you’ve learned in 2020 and do any 5 of these 10 things that take you closer to your goal of having a successful online business. Remember your online store won’t work if you don’t create systems.
10 Things You Need To Do Now As Entrepreneurs
1.Build that system I was telling you about >>> HERE <<<. If you want to survive more lockdowns doing this is essential. If funds are low then consider bartering your services to get your system and funnels built. Focus on ways you can tangibly improve the funnels into your business
2. Focus your energy on at least one owned channel. It’s easy to share on social and that’s valuable but you also need to be spending equal attention on a community you own: podcast/blog/ video channel.
3. Do lives. Create stories. They are the real engagement boosters on your feed for information, education, and even distraction so don’t discount them
4. Let people behind the scenes. Connect this point to the one above. Share your tips, everyday life, and tricks to help others feel less alone but also to showcase your skills as entrepreneurs
5. Fix your online shop. On mine, some products are dated and not all our current products have been uploaded. That’s my big goal and it should be yours too. Fix what wrong with your website.
6. Refine and hone your skills. Scared of Lives then learn how to do it. Want to write more? Then start your blog, do your email sequence, now is a great time to practice and implement.
7. Update your blog, fix broken links, reshare old content, and place links to your shop in your posts
8. Go over your online presence. Is everything up to date and current? Does your branding need a refresh?
9. Run the data, check your insights. Once your shop is updated, the data will let you know how you can move the needle and add fire to those offers when things pick up.
10. Create an online video series to raise your visibility
Continue the fight, continue your work by remembering why you started and continue to hold fast to the fact that the laws of the universe will always grant you favour.