Keeping with Forward Forty’s 2016 Christmas message of less is more, we decided to give the usually overindulgent holiday classic – eggnog – a healthy and minimalist upgrade. Not everyone is keen on the idea of eggs in a drink but we don’t know anyone who doesn’t love the creamy, pale yellow holiday favourite that typically contains some combination of milk, cream and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg and clove
To replicate the traditional egg nog’s classic richness, we swapped out ingredients like egg, cream, and milk for a velvety concoction of almond milk, soaked cashew nuts, and full fat coconut milk. We filled out the flavours with spices and a few shots (ahem, ahem, cups) of rum.
Not only is our eggnog make-under a more nutrient-dense take on the classic, it is also more heart and health-friendly than most.
Whether you choose keep it sans booze or warm it up with your favourite holiday spirit, we’re sure you’ll never look at eggnog the same way again. Trust us, it was divine!
Here’s what you’ll need
- 3 frozen bananas (peeled)
- 3/4 cup dry cashews, soaked overnight and drained (they’ll plump up to about 1 cup as they soak)
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup water (optional, if you want a thinner consistency)
- 1/3 teaspoon (or 1/4 heaping teaspoon) salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract (or bean scrapings)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup rum or bourbon
Simply blend all ingredients. Chill, and serve.